I continue to think about the service and it’s possible value. If done right, I really like sponsored tweets. The goal isn’t always to manipulate the follower into finding value in a product…Sponsored tweets simply allow you to tap in to a community that you don’t currently have access to.
And it’s not always ads. The message they choose to send can be a number of things. Here are some different ways that businesses can use sponsored tweets.
- Market Research. Want to know a community’s thoughts and opinions? The answers you get will be more quality than a mass snail mail campaign, and it’s probably cheaper too.
- Contests. If you want to start a contest for a specific community, you need to be able to reach the people in that community. Sponsoring a tweet can be a great way to give away prizes. It involves no “opinion” from the tweeter so their followers probably won’t be too offended.
- Crowdsource ideas. Pull in ideas by sponsoring tweets in different communities and asking for feedback. For example, a company wants to launch a new diaper product, and wants to gather ideas from mothers. If you aren’t tapped into the “mom-blog” community on twitter, good luck finding answers there. Sponsor a tweet from a prominent “mom-twitterer” to ask questions for you.
- Collect donations for a cause. Most tweeters probably won’t even ask for money, assuming you have a worthy cause and you approach them respectfully. Either way, you can reach a larger audience to get your charity off the ground.
- Sponsor a Q&A Expert Session. Say you have a site for bloggers. Sponsor a Q&A session on twitter with Darren Rowse where he can answer questions from new bloggers directly. Add your hashtag to the tweets, promote the event with your site.
See a re-occuring theme? Again, sponsored tweets simply allows you to tap into communities that you don’t currently have access to. Sure, if you’re trying to engage with the community, sponsored tweets aren’t the best method.
Not all tweets are meant for participating in conversation and building a community.
You can sign up to try out Sponsored Tweets here. (affiliate referral link)
What are some other creative ways to use sponsored tweets?